6 medium-sized fresh beets, scrubbed and thoroughly washed
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
Fresh herbs of your choice. I used celery leaves, chervil and chives
- Blanch beets in boiling water for 5-6 minutes. Plunge into bowl of ice water to stop cooking process.
- Drain and peel beets when cool enough to handle.
- Very thinly slice beets using a variety of shapes to add dimension to your salad.
- Drizzle olive oil and vinegar onto chilled serving plate
- Place sliced beets atop the oil and vinegar.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with herbs and garnish, if desired with nasturtium flowers.
Variation: Top with crumbled bleu or goat cheese and toasted pecans for a beautiful summer lunch.
Dana Daniel chef/owner/caterer at Dana’s Recipe, working also at HopeWorks Social Enterprises in Everett. Dana loves sharing how to prepare locally grown food, in season, where she lives.